The Writing Life
byon July 17th, 2010 at 03:36 AM (631 Views)
I confess: Iím a groupie. Most often, writing is an isolated career. We tend to work within our own minds, in our homes. So if thereís a writing group thatís related to my passion, Iím there.
It wasnít always this way. When I worked full time writing and editing for newspapers and magazines, as deadlines approached, weíd hunker down and Ė jointly Ė tackle the projects. Some of the best memories consist of staying up late, ordering in take-out and basically ignoring the rest of the world.
Now, in order to get the ďmeĒ writing time, Iím alone. And, it gets lonely.
Joining groups makes me feel like Iím not the only one out there. Iím connected with other like-minded individuals around the States, and the world.
Thatís the good part. The bad part? These groups take time!
When I started thinking about this blog, I added up the various groups Iíve joined Ė all in pursuit of following my craft and meeting others with a common goal.
The list includes:
- SavvyAuthors Ė Enough said ;-)
- RWA Ė Since Iím writing in romance, itís a given
- Chick-Lit Writers Ė an Online specialty chapter of RWA
- OCC RWA Ė The local Orange County RWA chapter
- Passionate Ink Ė Online chapter for erotic romance writers
- PopFiction Ė Took a correspondence class through Writerís Market YEARS ago, and this is a group of fellow students.
- Creativity Cauldron Ė Discussion group of paranormal writers that use witchcraft in stories. Took a workshop and a group was created from the members.
- Fantasy, Future & Paranormal Chapter of RWA Ė my current WIP is a YA paranormal, and Iíve published some short stories in the genre.
- YARWA Ė Young Adult RWA Ė See above!
- Mystery Writers of America
- TallGrass Writers Group Ė Association out of Illinois. Iíve been in four of their annual anthologies.
Note that this collection of writing associations does not include various fan & review groups, publishersí groups or local momís groups that I belong to, and receive a daily digest. And Iím sure that there are some that Iím forgetting about.
Letís face it: Iím an addict. A groupie.
Do I need help? How about you?